Friday, April 3, 2015

UPDATE!!!

It's been a while! I've been busy and Instagram has taken over most of my digital record-making. But there's something nice about a blog, isn't there? Something more deliberate and slow and intimate. 

Recently I have been...

* FUNDRAISING for Creating Language Through Arts. We received another grant to continue our Arts Residencies that focus on using art as a language when there are communication barriers present due to hearing loss. Our new Metropolitan Regional Arts Council grant requires that we provide some matching funds so we are fundraising left and right! If you are able to contribute (even $10!) we will be eternally grateful. You can do so HERE. (These are some of our Third grade students)



* Participating in my new fellowship. I am honored to announce that I have been selected as a fellow for Art(ists) on the Verge 7. AOV is an intensive, mentor-based fellowship program for 5 Minnesota based emerging artists working experimentally at the interstion of art and technology. Myself, along with artists Eric F. Avery, Torre Edahl, Jessica Henderson and Joshua McGarvy will participate in a year-long program that will culminate in an exhibition at The Soap Factory in the Spring of 2016. Art(ists) on the Verge is generously supported by the Jerome Foundation


* Exploring new media- in January of this year I created a video that has been a long time in the making. This endeavor combines my love of writing with video performance and story telling and draws heavily on my experience growing up with a profound and progressive hearing loss. You can click here to view it on vimeo. 

* Working my butt off in the studio getting ready for upcoming shows at Public Functionary and The Phipps Center. I'm focusing on larger works, and I have six in-progress 4' paintings in the studio at the moment. So far my attempts to deliberately change the way I make art has been both challenging and rewarding. Change is a heavy thing and has its own order. All I can say about these new pieces is that they feel distressed, un-done, weathered, unraveled. Maybe I need to literally demolish these pieces in order to grow?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liza,
    I saw your video on hearing loss through Facebook. The world seems to connect so much there these days. .Being a woman who also gradually lost my hearing from my late teens through my 40's I relate so well to your piece, and I have to tell you that is the most powerfully accurate portrayal of hearing loss I have ever encountered. I've tried for years to think of ways to express what it's like and have always come up short.

    I was surprised to find from your website that you are also an artist. Love your work! Such intricacy and beauty! I also am an artist working exclusively in watercolors remaining true to realism with an emphasis on nature.

    It was wonderful to both see your work and meet a fellow traveler in the world of hearing loss. I have bilateral cochlear implants. Aren't they grand?!
    Best regards,
    Stefanie Graves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefanie,

      Thank you so much for your message. I apologize for my delayed response, I'm not especially tuned in to this blog at the moment.

      Your words mean more to me than you can possibly know. I'm so glad you found a personal connection to my video. I just received a fellowship that will allow me to make more multidisciplinary work, which I'm excited about.

      I have one cochlear implant (I've had it since 2003) and it's getting old. Parts are loose and I worry about my entire means of communication hanging on such a small, old piece of electronics. I hope to upgrade to a newer model someday soon. And now that my normal hearing in my non-implanted ear is almost none I'm also exploring an option for a second implant. We shall see what happens between my insurance and my schedule and the Advanced Bionics!!!

      I'd love to see your work. Do you have a website? Are you based in Minnesota?

      Thanks again for reaching out.

      Best wishes to you!
      Liza

      Delete